When silver tarnishes, it combines with sulfur and forms silver sulfide. Silver sulfide is black. When a thin coating of silver sulfide forms on the surface of silver, it darkens the silver. The silver can be returned to its former luster by removing the silver sulfide coating from the surface.
There are two ways to remove the coating of silver sulfide. One way is to remove the silver sulfide from the surface. The other is to reverse the chemical reaction and turn silver sulfide back into silver.
If you have any objects made from silver or plated with silver, you know that the bright, shiny surface of silver gradually darkens and becomes less shiny. This happens because silver undergoes a chemical reaction with sulfur-containing substances in the air. You can use chemistry to reverse the tarnishing reaction and make the silver shiny again.
- In small bowl add one cup of boiling water
- Add 1TBS Detarnish magical silver jewelry cleaning powder
- Mix well
- Add silver screen in to the bowl
- Add your favorite tarnished jewelry
- Let it sit for 10-15 min
- Wash it dish soap and warm water
- Dry it and wipe it with Dtranish silver jewelry cleaning cloth
|3 Ag2S||+||2 Al||6 Ag||+||Al2S3|
Is this method safe for amber jewelry?